Monday, July 9, 2012

A Model of Success

In May my wife and I attended the 50th reunion of my high school graduating class in Greenville, South Carolina.  We,  along with others of my class, also had the opportunity to take a tour of the rebuilt Wade Hampton High School, led by its principal Mr. Lance Radford.  Neither my wife nor I were sure what to expect but we were curious to get a look at the new school from which we had both graduated.  As it turned out, we received much more than just a tour of memory lane.

I came away from that encounter with a sense that I had witnessed what true success is all about.  I met someone who loves what he is doing in life and someone who is extraordinarily gifted to perform that role.  Most important, I witnessed someone who is having an impact on the world around them and on a host of young people who are fortunate enough to come into contact with this man.

It is obvious Principal Radford is passionate about the responsibilities he has worked hard to earn, and his enthusiasm radiates to all around him.  Not only does he demonstrate hard work, good planning, enthusiasm and vision, but one can sense the ownership and responsibility he feels.

Principal Radford spent many years of hard work in the school system of which he is a part and after a number of years as assistant principal, he earned his current position.  In my opinion, he is an outstanding model of the good that exists today in our public schools.  He is also a model of what real success is all about.  I hope and pray that God will continue to bless his work and increase his impact on the young lives that he has been given to guide and shape.

     "If we truly ordered our lives according to the biblical idea of work, we would ask ourselves
      and our work not 'How much will I make?' but 'Will this work use my abilities and gifts to
      to the fullest?'"
                      - Ben Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment